Elgin plans and constructs turnkey solar energy installations and manages these facilities over their lifespan. Elgin works with land owners, roof owners, local authorities, planners, investors, banks, local installation partners and utility companies. Elgin helps each meet their needs and objectives with the approach tailored to each project.
Solar installations take advantage of what is known as the photovoltaic (photoelectric) effect. Photovoltaics is the direct conversion of sunlight into electrical current.
Crystalline technology solar modules are manufactured from silicon wafers. With thin film technology semiconducting materials are applied to a glass plate. When sunlight hits the solar module, a voltage develops between the treated silicon or the semiconduction materials and direct current is generated.
A solar installation is made up of an array of modules. Modules are connected to an inverter. The inverter turns the direct current (DC) into grid-compliant alternate current (AC) and feeds it into the existing electricity network.
Elgin uses many types of solar panels. We are technology neutral. In other words, we simply select the technologies that provide the most reliability and value. We optimise our systems to meet our customers’ financial, power production and facility needs.
The Sun Is An Inexhaustible Source of Energy.
The amount of energy that the sun sends to the earth within one hour is enough to cover the amount of electricity that the world’s population consumes in one year. It’s completely free and clean and does not produce harmful emissions. Elgin helps you to use this energy in meaningful ways to counteract global warming, air pollution and limited resources. We can now harness this renewable energy resource in a cost effective manner.
The benefits of commercial-scale solar energy extend far beyond fiscal savings. Solar benefits the world economically, environmentally and socially. Here’s how:
Can be permitted and installed faster than other traditional or renewable power plants. No planning is required for most roof based systems. Has a predictable energy curve and is most efficient at the time of day when utility rates are at their highest. Produces local and on-site energy which reduces the need for extensive high-voltage transmission lines or a complex infrastructure.
Clean, quiet and visually unobtrusive. Solar energy plants do not have any polluting emissions, do not make any sound, and are generally not considered to be an eyesore.
Can be placed in virtually every geographical region because the sun is available everywhere. Offsets the need for polluting, expensive and inefficient “peaker” power plants.
1. Creates clean, renewable energy that will sustain and support the health of future generations.
2. Solar energy does not require the imputation of of external fuel and therefore supports national energy independence.
3. Creates good, local jobs for the new energy economy.
4. Efficient use of space – A solar power system increases the value of property or land because of the secure income that it delivers. The installation of a solar power plant represents an economically sensible use of space or land that is not being used for other purposes. An unobtrusive installation on roofs or building façades does not distract from the appearance of the surrounding area and protects the roof from exposure to the elements.
5. Positive effect on image – companies that invest in solar energy demonstrate their environmental awareness and social responsibility.